Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Visit with the St. Clair Clan


Okay, I don't want to be a blog hog, but we've got some catching up to do. This last Saturday, being money hungry fools that we are, we went and picked up a load in Vancouver WA to deliver to Weyerhaeuser in Springfield. The load we picked up was...Tapioca Starch! What does Weyco do with Tapioca Starch, I asked? It's a bonding agent for paper. Ya learn somethin' new everyday. Anyway, we were only three miles from Uncle Dell and Aunt Janice's place at delivery point, so we dropped in for a visit. Aunt Janice wasn't able to be there...working and all, but Uncle Dell, Rod and Karla, their daughter Erika, Wes and Velda, and their daughter Christina were all present. In the photo of the St. Clair men are from left to right, Rod, Uncle Dell, Wes, and Rian. Velda, Wes' wife (very sweet gal) mentioned that she hadn't been able to notice the similarities in the St. Clair men until she saw them all together. I hadn't either! I always thought Rian held the Hickman biological features, but seeing them next to each other...they do look alike! And sound alike!
The St. Clair women from left to right are Karla (Rod's wife), Velda (Wes' wife) and Gina Hickman (me, Rian's wife), and in the back is Erika (Rod and Karla's daughter) and Christina (Wes and Velda's daughter). Pretty good lookin' bunch of females! These are the women that put up with this roudy bunch of St. Clair men.
Erika's husband Nick, is stationed in Iraq, and we wish the best for him and his safe return.
Rian wants to add, that he loves his Uncle Dell more than he can say. Uncle Dell and Rian's dad, Wes Hickman were best friends. Rian's dad passed in 1958 from a logging accident when Rian was a mere 6 years old. He has always looked up to Uncle Dell as THE man figure in his life. Dell's kids were always admired, and seemed more like brothers than cousins.
Rod and Wes work together cutting timber, and are quite the characters, and extremely hard working men. Lance and Randy are very enterprising as well, and much to be admired. Everyone I've had the good fortune to meet in this family thus far have been wonderful, warm, and the most down to earth people I've met in my life, and am proud to be a part of the St. Clair/Hickman clan. Every single one, from Dottie, to Rian's mother Marian, and his simblings (especially Peggi) to cousins, Aunts and Uncles. There have been quite a few. And believe me, I was a bit overwhelmed with all the family members that I've had the opportunity to meet so far.
We only wish that Aunt Janice could have been there to complete the photo. She is a very hard working, and dedicated woman. We missed her being there. Next time!
Rian keeps a large photo of his father, Wes, and his Uncle Dell in our home/office to remind him of the kinship between those two. Family is priceless! We invite all the family members to stop by our abode to share our unconventional hospitality.
I feel very special being included in this authentic, and giving family. I thank each and every one of you that I've met for allowing a newcomer into your clan.
Love and Kisses to all,
Gina and Rian Hickman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog entry Gina and thanks for all your nice comments about everyone..this IS a great family and I'm proud to be part of it too. I was thrilled to see children of the cousins! I'd never seen any of them and would love to see them all! Can we get more family photos to enter?

Would also love to see more of the Uncles and Aunts in here, they have stories and more family history to tell. How about the photo of Uncle Dell and Wes Hickman? Is that do-able?

Love,
Peggi

Anonymous said...

I think I can scan the photo of your Dad and Uncle Dell. I don't know how the quality will be, but we'll give it a try! And we'll go through any others that Rian may have and get them in here too.
Love,
Gina

Anonymous said...

Rian mentioned that I said how sweet Velda was, and said nothing about Karla. Karla, I apologized profusely! It's just that I had never had a chance to talk to Velda before. Everyone-Karla is a very warm, funny, and beautiful gal. Very outgoing, and earthy. She likes to tell the stories right along with the menfolk. Love you Karla!
Hugs and kisses,
Gina