Sunday, January 21, 2007

Howard St. Clair Children

Peggi mentioned in a comment that she would like to hear more about my brothers and sisters in the picture. So here goes: I was born in 1949, Laurie 51, Nikki 53, Robby 60, Eric 62, Lisa 63, and Caryn 1970. Mom (Barbara Durall) and Dad were married in 1948 at Fairfield, Idaho. They lived in the Eugene area (I was born in Eugene) until 1950, when they moved to Fairfield. Dad took over the Durall family farm and continued with farming, in addition to owning a gas station and agricultural fertilizer business, until they divorced in 1969. Dad briefly moved to Rupert, Idaho, where he had a custom haying operation, then to Long Beach, California (managed a hardware store) and finally San Diego, where he died in 1972. Mom remarried in 1969 and moved, along with Nikki, Robby, Eric, and Lisa, to Plainview, Arkansas, where her husband, Tom Cox, settled on a family farm. Caryn was born there in 1970. Mom died in 1975, and the children lived with their Step-dad until graduating from high school.

Laurie currently lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where she oversees EPA guidelines for the University of Tulsa. She has six children (all grown).

Nikki lives with her husband Dennis, in Moscow, Idaho. She is associated with a Christian women's group, doing counseling. They have 5 children (all grown).

Robby lives with his wife Glenda in Ola, Arkansas. He works at factory that makes bolts. They have 3 children (all grown).

Eric also lives in Ola and works at the same factory as Robby. He has 2 children (both teenagers).

Lisa lives with her husband Mike, in Greenwood, Arkansas. She teaches high school business courses. They have 1 grown child.

Caryn lives in Plainview, Arkansas and has two teenage children.

My wife Glada and I live in Atoka, Tennessee. Atoka is about 30 miles north of Memphis. I work for the Navy (civil service - I retired from the Navy in 1989) on the Navy base in Millington, TN. Glada teaches Kindergarten at a school in Memphis. I have three boys by a previous marriage, and 2 boys and 1 girl with Glada. Our youngest, Danielle, is 20. My oldest, Brian, is 36. I'll have more of my history in a future post.

Take care, Jay

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks Jay, you put a lot of information in here that I've wondered about all thru the years. I can finally put names, faces and order of ages together. Another thing I didn't know is that you had three other kids, and Laurie had 6 kids. Your reunions must be a lot of fun. Sure glad Rian contacted you about the blog!

Anonymous said...

Jay,
My first husband made a career out of the Navy. We were stationed at Millington Tenn when our 2 children were babies. Lets see... must have been very early 70s -- as our son born in 1970 turned 1 year old while there. We were there for about 2 years before being stationed at Whidbey Island in Washington. I hated the weather in Tenn. -- every time the wind blew they had tornado warnings on the radio and TV... well it seemed that way anyway, after growing up in Oregon with winds that only blew in one direction and usually not very hard.
Did like the people in that area though.
Bunny

Anonymous said...

It's so bizarre! I lived in Millington Tennessee in 1975/76 with my sister and husband who was stationed at the Naval Base there. And Bunny, you're right about the tornado warnings. It started becoming the order of the day to have a tornado warning in affect. Thanks Jay! This is great.
Love
Gina and Rian

Anonymous said...

Bunny,
I was actually stationed in Millington for 4 years in 1978. Also was stationed at Whidbey Island 1970-71. At the time I left Tennessee, swore I would never again live in the south. Well, never say never, right. Ended up being stationed in Florida in late 80's and here we are back in Tennessee. What I hated about the South was the heat and humidity. Guess I got used to it, or at least used to air conditioning.

Anonymous said...

The heat is the same everywhere, I think. Whether it's dry heat or wet heat...heat is heat. I remember a particular summer that my family went back east to Georgia during the summer in July. We were driving through Texas (Kerrville) in a torential rain storm, but the temp was up in the hundreds. Talk about MISERABLE! We were in the swimming pool...in the rain! Anyway Jay, I concur. I don't like heat where ever it is. Good hearing from you!

Anonymous said...

Geezzzz sounds like we were all passing each other going and coming in those years.
Funny !!