Friday, May 12, 2006

This is a good thing

This blog is a great thing-- and I applaud Carol for setting it up and putting so much work into it. I hope all of us start using it more.
Welcome Aunt Marian and also Lyle Reeve. Don't know if I ever met that side of our family -- the Reeves, but would love to. Of course I don't remember a lot of things from my growing up years, so who knows. And would love to hear more about all of you -- the Reeves, the St.Clairs, and whoever. WRITE MORE!!
Cousin Rian and my hubby have struck up a friendship after the mini reunion at Aunt Dotties a couple years ago -- classic car stuff you know! Jim and Ryan talk on the phone now and then as well as e-mail.
Am off to my "mini" quilt group meeting today. We meet once a month and are sorta doing more artsy things with our quilting. We call ourselves "The Catastrophies" or "CATS" for short, as we started the mini group working on an intricate cat applique wall hanging.... each of us doing the same quilt but with our own background fabrics and cat fabrics. I only know of one of us that has completed a wall hanging -- but she only did two of the cat blocks and there are about 9. Most of us have gotten side tracked with other things and the cats went on the back burner. Quilters are nortorious for having many UFOs (unfinished objects). My current obsession is beading on fabric. Oh dear -- must now purchase beads as well as fabric -- what a shame!! ;o)
Nope... I don't work on Fridays -- only work 4 days a week and love it.
Thinking about riding my motorcycle to the meeting but it is not warming up very fast and the wind seems to be picking up, so probably not this time. It is also a pot-luck so a bit difficult to haul a salad or ? on the bike -- as well as my quilting project. But managable, if I put my mind to it.
I remember the clock that Aunt Marian has and I also remember a beautiful glass paper weight that was on Grandpa's desk. I think it had a red flower in it. I loved that paperweight. I also remember one time Peggi and I were helping Grandpa in the barn... or at least following him to the barn and we were both wearing his plaid coat... Peggi's left arm in one arm hole and my right arm in the other. Yup... we were small enough and skinny enough back then to do that!!
Later, Bunny

3 comments:

Carol said...

Bunny, You probably remember Aunt Jessie and Uncle Charley Reeve? Jessie was Grandpa Frank's daughter from his first wife. Charley is one of Grandma Pansy's brothers... so Lyle Reeve is the son of one of Grandma Pansy's other brothers. I don't have any information about how many brothers (or sisters) she had. Aunt Marian can certainly help us out here. She has done a lot of genealogy work. I think we've all been a little confused over the years because there were essentally three families from three wives. Grandma Pansy treated them all as one big family as far as I could tell. Anyway, then we throw in one of Grandma Pansies brothers (Charley) marrying one of Frank's daughters (Jessie). It is confusing for sure... but it's all becoming a lot more clear to me the more I work on it. This blog has helped me sort it out. Remember the family tree from the reunion at Dottie's? That was a big help. I think Shirley might still have it. It was still on Dottie's wall last time I was there. She loved us all!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes Bunny..glad you brought up that paperweight!! It was beautiful..I believe it had a red rose inside!

I just loved that desk and remember things like...his green with brown leather corners writing pad, his pipes and pipe holder, a wooden ashtray with a glass insert (the insert broke & the replacement never fit as well), and that paperweight..it was all very interesting!

I often wonder what happened to that desk, and the items on it! It was thought to be in the shed beside the Compton house for awhile after Grampa died, Gram moved into her trailor & there wouldn't have been room for it...where it ended up..who knows
?

I don't recall seeing any of those items after the desk was moved out of the house.

Mom says it was not a particuarly expensive desk..but to me it was just the right one for our Grampa!!

Cool memories!
Love ya Sharon

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to meet Uncle Earl who was another of Grandma's brothers. A very sweet gentleman and his wife Maude was a great person also. I only met Earl once but during that visit he carved me a small wooden chain, made from one piece of wood. It is one of my dearest treasures.
Grandma's sister Carrie had several children also but I can't remember their names or anything about them. Uncle Charley and I got aquainted about 2 years after I got married when I moved to a small town where his daughter Evelyn lived. He drove out occaisionally to see me and I'm glad that I got the opportunity to meet him.........he was a lovable character, full of jokes, but kind. One of his grandkids Melodie contacted me on the phone several years ago but we never did meet. We have many relatives in this big family!
Peggi