Saturday, July 19, 2008

Howard St.Clair Family Videos during the 50's

Well, here's my first shot at posting a video to the blog. Hopefully, it will turn out okay. Brief history: The video started as a number of 8mm films that dad, Howard St.Clair, took during the 50's and 60's. Following his death, my sister Laurie obtained the films and had them transferred to two VHS tapes during the 90's, then sent copies to the brothers and sisters. Prior to the reunion in a discussion with Laurie, I decided to see if I could transfer the VHS analog tapes to digital files, which could be loaded onto a PC, allowing for DVD copies to be made. The plan was to try and have DVD's made prior to the reunion, and perhaps get posted to the Blog. That was the plan in theory, but the execution turned out to take a bit longer than anticipated (learning curve).

The total series of 8mm film clips is about 2 hours in length. All but this 20 minutes or so, is of our family and life in Fairfield, ID (a lot of Christmas shots). I have just posted video clips of the St.Clair family during visits to Oregon. As near as I can determine, these film clips started around 1953/54. Someone mentioned the lake where the picnic started might have been Cottage Grove. You also might notice that blue car at the end of the video is very similar to a certain auto at the reunion.

I hope you enjoy the video as much as I did. In my opinion, while pictures are certainly wonderful, moving pictures really help to bring the people to life and show what they were like. Until I saw the film of the family dancing and having great fun, I would have never imagined that occurring. You can sure tell they made the most of what they had 50 years ago, that we take for granted today with our satellite and cable TVs, IPODs, cell phones, etc.

If you have problems viewing, let me know and I'll try and research a fix. If anyone would like a DVD copy of these clips, or a DVD of the complete 2 hour video, let me know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay and Glada...Wow! Talk about bringing on the tears! Rian and I would love to have the full version. Thanks so much for learning the curve. This is absolutely priceless!
Love and kisses,
Rian and Gina

Anonymous said...

I would also love a copy of the full version please!! Cannot describe the memories and feelings this clip brought back. I love it and appreciate all your effort on it. Let me know what I owe for my copy. Definately priceless.

Love,
Peggi

Anonymous said...

Peggi, send me your mailing address via email and I'll send you a copy. There is no charge.
Sure miss the weather back there in Oregon. It's 106 degrees outside with 40% humidity as I type this. Needless to say, we don't venture outside much.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Well,I just watched the video at work as my "dial up" at home is way to slow. Talk about bringing tears to the eyes!
Was that Grandma's dog Penny? And what were those critters someone was feeding.
I'm going to be greedy and say I would love to have both the short clip and the longer version.
Now we have to get together again and tell each other who was who. Would be great to write down who was who, what was going on, etc. to go with the video.
Jay and Glada-- you are wonderful for doing this.
Thanks, Bunny
Bunny St. Clair & Jim Tribou
1496 Q Hwy 20 East, Colville WA 99114